Mosquitoes Are arguably one of, if not the very, annoying insect on Earth. A mosquito’s bite can and generally does ruin all outdoor functions during the spring and summer months. I’m not going to bore you with the biology of mosquitoes, but what I’ll do is provide you with the wisdom and the tools you’ll need to control them.
1. Mechanical control is when you remove the mosquito’s origin of breeding. If there are no areas for mosquito larvae to hatch and become adults, then you’ve just eliminated most of the problem. Old tires, flower pots, swimming pools, bird baths, clogged gutters and beliefs in the ground are all ideal mosquito breeding havens. Remove water after rains from anything the can and will keep moisture. Repairing display doors, door sweeps, etc also will remove entry points to the home.
2. DEET is usually the main ingredient, but anything over 20 percent is a waste. Read the label carefully before purchasing. Lotions like Skin so Soft, and assorted manufacturers of Citronella products like Tiki torches and bucket candles are also highly common.
3. Mosquito dunks – Mosquito Dunks are a larvicide that kills the mosquito larvae by preventing them from growing into adults, also or contaminating the larvae’s food origin (algae, bacteria etc). Some mosquito dunks are often very costly. Only use dunks in standing stagnant water which doesn’t go away. Please read the LABEL before applying, since it is not meant for big bodies of water.
4. Mosquito Trap / Magnet – The mosquito magnet (also known as a mosquito trap) is the Cadillac of all mosquito control methods. Mosquito magnets are propane operated and require using Octenol or Lurex (based on what types of mosquitoes are in the area you live). The mix of CO2 and Octenol mimic a human breath, which in turn attracts mosquitoes to the place of the trap. If you spend a whole lot of time outside, you should seriously consider one of them.
5. Netting comes in a variety of gazebos, head netting and various fashions for sleeping outdoors. Netting is great, but again, treating the source is always the ideal.
6. Mosquito zapper – This is the simple way out, but not the ideal form of mosquito control. Although it’s cool to listen to mosquitoes get electrocuted while throwing down a chilly one, mosquitoes aren’t as susceptible to lights like moths and other insects.
7. Term solution with Animal Removal Ocala FL, but will provide you rapid relief. Mosquitoes are territorial, so fogging will kill adult mosquito populations extremely fast, but isn’t a long term solution. Wind is also a factor, so if the wind speeds are above 3mph, fogging will not be as effective, in the end.
8. Mosquito Spray – Another control system is using a remaining pesticide to treat areas where mosquitoes might rest throughout the day. Under eaves, trees, bushes or some other dark shaded area where it is nice and cool is the ideal place to take care of. Some sprays are not intended for plants since the compound could be phototoxic to plants.
9. Attracted to carbon dioxide that is generated in the breathing of an animal or human. Therefore don’t waste your money on those fancy yellow lights in case you are attempting to limit mosquito activity.
10. Diet / Natural Garlic pills for people and brewers yeast for pets are getting more and more popular for people who are going Green. There are various stores online and locally that sell these products.
One last thing, If You Reside in an area where you Have plenty of mosquito natural predators like dragon flies, frogs and bats; leave them alone. Let nature do everything. Be thankful You’ve got some help from the wildlife with your pest control issues.